Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shelly's Chickpea Salad


I adapted this recipe from Josh's 'Chick Spread' recipe at My Vegan Cookbook.  He has great recipes so I encourage you to stop over there. I just changed it to fit my personal tastes and to work with the ingredients I always have on hand.


You can use this like you would a chicken or tuna salad. On bread or in a wrap as a filling, a scoop on top of a tossed salad, used as a dip for veggies or smeared on crackers. 

The chickpeas are a great source of protein and the walnuts give you good fat! Feel free to sub in other veggies in you hate carrots. Relish would be good in this too. Experiment!

* You are welcome to share my recipe but I want you to link to my blog, please.


Shelly's Chickpea Spread
1 15 oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup raw walnuts (or you can sub in smoked almonds or sliced almonds)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 onion, chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp seasoned salt (or regular salt), plus more to taste if needed
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp no chicken bouillon (optional but it makes it taste really good!)
1/2 c shredded carrot

Combine all ingredients (except carrot) in a food processor and process to your liking.You can get a flaky tuna type texture or as smooth as a hummus, your choice! Then fold in the carrot.

Note: you can also add a tsp or two of vegan mayo along with the carrots if you like it creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment