Monday, April 22, 2013

Review: Gardein Meatless Ground

I saw this at my local store a few weeks ago so I grabbed one. I've had it in my fridge for awhile and this morning I decided to make some pasta sauce with it.

It comes in a 13 oz package (four 2/3 cup servings total)  and inside are two packs so you can freeze one if you need to, which is great! When you open it, it's like pre-cooked cow hamburger.. it crumbles perfectly and quickly (I like the Gimme Lean ground but it's a pain to get crumbled up) and it tastes good straight out of the package. This is perfect for pasta sauce, sloppy joes, tacos or on pizza.

Once I had it cooked up in my sauce, I was stunned. If I hadn't made it myself, I would have bet money it was cow burger. The texture is the same as I remember a ground sirloin having (ie: none of that chewy gristle texture) but I haven't eaten flesh in 10 years. That is my memory of it. I think you could successfully use this for meat eaters and they'd never know unless they saw you make it.

So, I recommend giving it a try. I'm going to try it in tacos next!



No comments:

Post a Comment