Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Original recipe - FMD Chickpea Salad for One

I recently decided to do a sort of reboot of my metabolism by following The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy. I created this recipe that is allowed for Phases 1 and 3 on the program. It's meant for one serving but it could make a couple sandwiches off program. It has a full 1/2 cup of beans and that is one serving.

When I was first planning out my meals for week one, I thought.. oh, chickpea salad on bread.. super easy, super simple .... then I realized I couldn't use mayo! Uh oh... how do I get it to stick together?

Well... veggie broth helped. If you want it more spread like.. just process the beans more ,, you can even go for a hummus texture but I like the texture with the flaky beans and veggies mixed in.

What I did with it was serve part of it on one slice of sprouted grain bread and the rest I used as a dip for carrots and cucumbers within the same meal. You can also put it in a sprouted grain tortilla or use it as a salad topper over mixed greens. You can also just straight up eat it! It's delicious.

FMD Chickpea Salad for One

1/2 cup chickpeas
1/2 cup baby carrots
2 tbsp chopped onion or green onion
1 tbsp dill relish or chopped dill pickles
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp veggie broth
1 or 2 tsp dijon mustard (do this to taste)
1 tsp vegetable broth powder*
1/2 tsp Bragg's or Tamari
1/4 tsp garlic powder

In a food processor (or with a potato masher or fork) process the chickpeas until they are broken up and flaky but not pureed. Place them in a bowl. Place the baby carrots in the processor and process until they are diced. Add those to the bowl and mix. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

* I like Rapunzel powder - however, it has a little oil in it but I didn't think it was enough to really make this a 'bad' choice. Happy Herbivore has a great recipe for No Chicken Broth in one of her books. You can make that and use that instead. It would be great too. I just forgot I had that and used the Rapunzel.

No comments:

Post a Comment