Friday, February 28, 2014

Original Recipe - 'Chick'n' Taco Seasoning Mix

This seasoning is a clone recipe from a well-known spice house. You can use this with Soy Curls, chickpeas or to season any commercially available chick'n strip type product for tacos, like Beyond Meat or Gardein.

The original calls for jalapeno powder. If I don't have it in my kitchen, it isn't something that is going to be used often so I left it out. Most of the ingredients will be in a normal kitchen except maybe the Ancho powder. You can sub in whatever chili type powder you have if necessary.



Shelly's Chick'n Taco Seasoning Mix

1 Tbsp Mexican oregano
1 1/4 tsp Spanish paprika
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cilantro
1/4 tsp ancho chile powder (add an additional 1/8 tsp if you like it spicier)
1/8 tsp black pepper

Blend together with a whisk.

I prefer not to add a bunch of oil to my food so I'd just cook or warm up whatever 'chick'n' I was using, sprinkle the seasoning over it and add in some water and cook it until it's coated and done. Not rocket science. I'd even add a squirt of lime juice if I was feelin' it.

The original recipe give these directions for the equivalent of one pound of chicken. If you're using pre-cooked items then you'll need to adjust the initial chicken cooking time.

In a large pan over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp of corn oil and cook chicken for 7 minutes , Stir in 1 tbsp lime juice and 2 tbsp of the seasoning mix. Cook 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, reduce heat and simmer until done.






No comments:

Post a Comment