Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Original Recipe - Chickpea Enchiladas

I originally came across a recipe for white enchiladas in the Everyday Happy Herbivore Cookbook and I messed around with the recipe enough that it became a whole other thing so I'm sharing my original recipe
with you! 
I like to mix up a batch of the filling and sauce and then keep it in the fridge for quick meals! 

I could eat this everyday!

You'll need a package of whole wheat tortillas in the bigger size, some pico de gallo and some guacamole if you so desire. If you can get your hands on the Daiya Wedges in the Havarti or Jack flavor.. slice some up and stick it inside .. it's sooo good.

I linked you to my original taco seasoning mix recipe but you can use what you have as well.


Shelly's Chickpea Enchiladas


Filling:
(1) 29-32 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa verde
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (to taste - be careful)

Place drained and rinsed chickpeas into a food processor and blend until it's flaky and there are no whole beans but do not process as much as you would for hummus. You want some texture. Place beans into a larger bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Set aside.

Sauce:
2 cups water
1 tsp no chicken bouillon
1/2 to 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 to 2 Tbsp cornstarch (start with one)
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt

In a medium saucepan, combine the ingredients and cook over medium heat, whisking until it starts to thicken. If it stays too thin, use the extra tbsp of cornstarch. You want this sauce to be on the thin side. It's done when it will coat the back of a spoon. 

To assemble: Take one large whole wheat tortilla and place the filling along the middle. If you want to add Daiya wedge slices in Havarti, do it now.. it's fabulous in these! Then roll it up and place the fold side down on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until the filling is hot. Top with warm sauce and pico de gallo, green onions and guacamole, if desired.

You can also roll it like a burrito as shown in the photo. I like to do that because the filling stays in there better.

Note: for leftovers, I've found it works better to warm the filling on it's own and then add it to the tortilla and heat just long enough to warm the tortilla and then pour the reheated sauce over it.





2 comments:

  1. These enchiladas are so delicious. It is refreshing to have an enchilada that showcases the chickpea instead of pinto or black bean. And the sauce is so simple, yet delicious. I had all the ingredients in my kitchen to make this which is yet another bonus!

    I have shared the recipe with many family members and we all agree - it's a winner. Thanks a million! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked them! I love them too!!

    ReplyDelete