Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Original Recipe: Taco Seasoning Mix

I have no problem paying for good quality herbs and spices but when it comes to blends, I often think to myself ... 'I can make that!' 

So, I decided to try to make my own taco seasoning. Sometimes the retail mixes aren't vegan or it has junky ingredients that I just don't want to eat but I like the convenience of having a ready mixed blend that I can just toss into a recipe.

This is my knock-off clone of Penzey's Original Taco Seasoning. 


Shelly's Taco Seasoning

Makes 1/2 cup

1 TBSP + 1 tsp Paprika (I used regular)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Tomato Powder (see note)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Onion Flakes
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Oregano
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cornstarch
1/2 tsp Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Cinnamon

Mix in a bowl with a whisk until fully blended.  Add to beans, vegan meats or sauces as desired.

Note: You can find the Tomato Powder at Firehouse Pantry


No comments:

Post a Comment