Monday, May 28, 2012

My Favorite Recipes - My Vegan Cookbook

I've working on putting my favorite recipes on my blog to share with everyone. It's a big job so.. I've broken it down into categories.

Next up - My Vegan Cookbook


Keep in mind that you can halve a recipe, leave things out, add things, sub things .. whatever.

Don't be afraid! Make it your own!

Side note - I always use almond milk and whole wheat flours in recipes. Always. So feel free to make that sub.


Josh at My Vegan Cookbook


Again, not sure how I ended up on Josh's site but he has some of the best recipes! I can't list every single recipe of his that I love and I haven't tried all of them so please jump in and check his site out.

I'll share my must-haves.

Chick Spread - I've given this recipe out to so many people and almost everyone loves this. It's simple, versatile and it's a great thing to have in your fridge each week for a quick meal! I don't add the tofu to mine and it's perfectly fine to skip it but the tofu will add a ton of protein. I like to add shredded carrot, nutritional yeast and no chicken bouillon to mine. Feel free to experiment. You can also make it whatever texture you want.. from flaky like tuna to creamy and pureed like a thick hummus. You can use it like a chicken salad in sandwiches and wraps, as a salad topper or side dish. I even like it as a veggie dip! I have a friend who has a 2 year old that loves this!

Loose Mushroom Sandwich with Cheeze - This was so delicious that right now I think I want it for breakfast after seeing the photo. It's like an otherwordly sloppy joe or something. It reminded me of those Arby's Beef & Cheddar sandwiches. Make sure you get a big onion bun for these. You can sub cornstarch for the arrowroot.

Black Bean Burgers - I love this recipe so much that I don't even try other black bean burger recipes. I double this and freeze them with wax paper in between. Then, I saute them in a pan with a little oil. I like to have mine with vegenaise mixed with chipotle sauce. So good. You can also chop them and stick them in a wrap or a taco shell. Just don't make them too big.. I did once and not even my husband could finish one.

Grain & Garden Burgers -  These are similar to the old fashioned Gardenburger patties. Carrots and brown rice.

Drop Dumplings with Mixed Vegetables - My grandmother makes chicken and dumplings that are to die for! This recipe is so close to it that now I don't have to miss that amazing comfort food. I'm not a big fan of coriander but Josh seems to be so I leave that out. I also add in some of the no chicken bouillon. The dumpling technique is genius and really simple. Hubby loved this.

Lentil Loaf -  Yummy! Plus, it freezes really well. I just slice it and wrap it first in the wax type paper and then in foil. Serve with mashed taters!

Cream Cheeze Frosting - My husbands fave cake is spice cake with cream cheese frosting so I had to find a way to make that for him and this frosting does it! I don't want to use the faux cream cheese on the market (it's just oil) so I was happy to find that Josh had an alternative! It's tangy and sweet. It passed the husband test. I make the cake recipe I linked to and use Josh's frosting instead!

Vegan Meatballs/Meat Sauce - I love spaghetti and meatballs but I discovered that when I had it, I would smash the meatballs into my spaghetti so I thought maybe I should just use them to make a meaty sauce instead. So... I mix this up and instead of making the meatballs, I use the mixture like hamburger in a meat sauce. I saute an onion with some garlic and a few handfuls of thin sliced mushrooms and then toss in the meatball mixture and brown it slightly. I add in a 29 oz jar of marinara (or make your own) and then I have a delicious meaty sauce!


No comments:

Post a Comment