Saturday, June 23, 2012

Recipe: Chickpea Patties & Agave-Mustard



Shelly’s Chickpea Patties and Agave-Mustard Sauce

I adapted this from the original chickpea cutlet recipe in the Veganomicon cookbook. You can google the original if you want. It's all over the internet and quite popular. I've made these numerous times now and I finally got the recipe perfect (in my opinion!)

I removed a couple ingredients until I got it to the flavor I prefer. I removed the wheat gluten simply because in this dish, I like it without the chewiness that gluten gives it. This version keeps the soft, smashed bean texture. I think non-vegans would much prefer this version.

1 cup chickpeas (cooked/canned) drained and rinsed.
2 tbsp olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp vegetable broth or water (I just dissolve bouillon in warm water)
1 cup dry bread crumbs (you can also use prepared croutons and crush those into crumbs - extra flavor!)
1 tbsp steak sauce (like A1)
2 tsp chopped garlic (I use jarred)
1 tsp adobo paste (or the sauce from chipotles in adobo)

1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper


Mash the chickpeas in a bowl with the olive oil until no intact beans remain. (or use a food processor) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well until you have a smooth dough.

If you make regular burger sized patties you can get 4 or 5 but I prefer to make nugget sized patties of 1 tbsp (I use a cookie dough baller) because they hold together better and then you can eat just a few if you want. You can also make the 'dough' and then cook as needed over a few days.

In a fry pan, heat olive oil (you want a nice amount so they brown well) and fry patties until lightly brown on both sides. If you make larger patties, they may break apart so be aware of that. I keep leftovers in the fridge and reheat in a pan with a little oil.



Agave-Mustard Sauce

I love this with the chickpea patties. I don’t really measure this because it’s by personal taste. I start with a spoonful of vegan mayo and add in about half the amount of Dijon or grainy mustard and then a squirt of agave and I just taste it and adjust it as necessary. Some people like it sweeter, some heavier on the mustard.

My fave way to eat the patties is with a side of fried brown rice and a veggie. Asparagus is especially delicious with the agave mustard too! I also love to have my brussels sprouts!

The recipe link for the brussel sprouts is:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment