Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe Roundup - My Favorite Dips!


I love dips but even vegan ones made with vegan sour cream and vegan mayo are not very healthy so I try and find ways to get that dip fix while remaining true to how I choose to eat! So.. here are a few of my most favorite dips that are perfect for the meat eaters you know too!


Dorito Dip (shown in photo at right)

I found this on a blog and it really does have a Dorito flavor to it! I've fed this to many meat eaters and it's always a hit so this is a great dip to take to a gathering. My husband loves this.

If you don't have a Vita Mix or you use a food processor (I prefer to make this in my food processor instead of my VM just because it's easier to get out of the food processor!) you'll need to add water in small amounts until it gets to the consistancy you want.

The photo I took of mine is rather thick because I intend on dipping carrots in it and slathering it on Triscuits. If you want a chip dip. add more water until it's dip-able!


I usually double this so I can use a whole pepper.


1/3 C Sunflower seeds (I use salted/roasted)
1/2 C Raw unsalted cashews
1/4 C Nutritional yeast
1/2 of a Red pepper, chopped
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp Salt (or to taste)
1/2 Tsp Chili Powder (add more or less to taste if desired)
1/8 Tsp Cayenne (add more or less to taste if desired)

Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth


Vegan Queso

You know that fattening, cholesterol-laden cheese dip made with Velveeta and Rotel tomatoes? Well, this is a healthy version and it's just as good. This is my fave cheesy sauce because it's made with water instead of almond milk so I can always make this. It's great to dip chips in, use on tacos or even as an cheesy burrito topping. Yum.

I don't use the full amount of the salsa called for tho.. I use maybe ½ cup so do it to your own taste.

1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup flour ( I use whole wheat)
1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika is really good in this)
1 teaspoon salt
dash of garlic powder
1 cup water
2 tablespoons margarine (I used Earth Balance sticks)
1 1/2 cups salsa OR 1 can diced tomatoes and peppers (RoTel or other brand)

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients in a saucepan. Add water. Whisk constantly (really important!) over medium heat until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add margarine. Stir until margarine is melted. Stir in can of tomatoes or salsa.

Return to low heat and cook just long enough for tomatoes to heat. Pour over chips and eat like nachos or use as a dip.


Sara's Notorious Mexican Tofu Dip

This recipe intrigued me because, honestly... it sounded gross and the photo in the cookbook looked even worse and yet the story with the recipe made me want to try it! The author tells of her young daughter who created this dip and her friends and family loved it. They used it as a dip for chips and veggies, as a sandwich or celery filling or to eat as a salad in a hollowed out tomato or to top greens.

This little girl played the violin and wanted to attend a workshop that her single mother couldn’t afford to send her to. Someone came up with the idea of her selling this ‘salad’ at the local market… she did and she earned enough money in 5 months to cover her expenses to the workshop, including the lodging and the meals! She continued on with her tofu salad business and the product was very popular locally. She sold the business when she was 12 and the new owners eventually changed up the recipe but this one is the original.

You may wanna make a half batch with some leftover tofu you have sometime to see if you like it. I think it's important to try new foods, I took the chance and tried this and I’m glad because I really like it and it will be nice thing for me to take places to introduce people to tofu. I eat it with whole corn chips. It’s just oddly addicting. The only thing you need to decide is texture... you can make this the intended way so it's more crumbly like a wet egg salad with the celery texture or toss it in the food processor for a dip resembling a smooth sour cream type dip. I recommend the smooth version if you are taking it to a meat eaters gathering as many people have texture issues.


1 lb firm or extra firm tofu, drained, blotted and crumbled
1 TBSP ketchup (choose one without corn syrup)
1 TBSP nutritional yeast
1 TBSP tamari or shoyu (soy sauce)
2 ribs of celery, finely diced
½ to ¾ cup salsa (medium or hot, not mild)
1 or 2 TBSP tofu mayo (start wit one TBSP and add more to your personal taste)

Crumble the tofu in a bowl and get it as smooth as possible without using a blender or food processor. (if you want it smooth.. toss everything into the food processor)

Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
Do a taste test and add more salsa and tofu mayo if you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment