Saturday, June 9, 2012

Recipe - Silken Yogurt

One thing I often hear people complain about is how pricey some of the vegan convenience foods can be.

Of course, you shouldn't eat them on a regular basis anyway but I am surprised when people don't even consider making certain items from scratch.

One item is soy yogurt. Sure, you can drop $50 to $100 on a yogurt maker that uses soy milk and culture and actually cooks up a batch of honest to goodness yogurt or you can try this cheater method instead which is faster, less expensive, easier and tastes great!

All you need is a food processor or blender.

Ingredients

1 pkg Silken tofu (firm or extra firm)
lemon juice
Jam of your choice

I can't give you a specific recipe because this is all about personal taste! When I made mine I used about 1/3 to 1/2 of the package of tofu mixed with about a tsp of lemon juice and 1/3 to 1/2 cup strawberry freezer jam that I had made previously. You can use fresh fruit but jam already has the sugar in it so it's easier. If you use fresh fruit, you may need to add in some maple syrup for sweetness. I've also made this with just tofu, fresh squeezed lemon juice and maple syrup and it was yummy.

Just combine everything in your processor and blend until smooth. Test it and adjust it for taste. I used mine to make a granola parfait with granola I made from scratch but feel free to pick up a package of granola at the store. Garnish with fresh fruit or stir in chopped fresh fruit if you like a chunky yogurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment