Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Clone Recipe: Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning

Feel free to share this recipe but please link it back to this blog. Thanks.

Clone Recipe: Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning

Ah, Trader Joe's. If you've been to one, you know and if you haven't you dream of one day visiting one.

Our nearest TJ's is an hour drive away so I only make it there a couple times a year. One of my most fave items is the South African Smoke Seasoning Blend (SASS for short).. it is large flakes of sea salt, paprika, basil and garlic in a grinder.

As much as I love it, I found myself wishing I could sprinkle it like salt, versus grinding it and having larger flakes on my food.  So.. I made my own! Plus, this means I can have it anytime and if you aren't near a TJ's.. you can enjoy it too!

I like it on popcorn, vegan mac & cheese and potatoes.

I recommend using a Bullet blender if you have one.

Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning

5 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp hickory smoked salt

Blend together in the Bullet, Store in a glass jar or covered container. Use as you would salt.










7 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so glad I found this. I love Trader Joe's. The one here in Orland Park, IL is about 20 minutes from my house. The staff is soooo friendly. I went today and unfortunately they are out of the SASS, so now that I have this recipe, I can have it when I want. The only change I'm making is to use garlic powder instead of garlic salt (trying to watch my salt intake) and add a pinch of crushed red pepper. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela! So excited you're excited! I was just at TJ's in Madison and they didn't have it either! I wasn't too worried since I have my recipe! Red pepper is a fun addition if you like the heat! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try this! Did they stop selling it? Mine is out also STL, MO. Saw it omg amazon for $19!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently it's no longer sold at TJs. This is my "secret ingredient" in a bunch of my most requested recipies.

      Delete
  4. TJs sell this as a seasonal item. They will have it in stores in August. I too discover this and loved it. Went back for more they were all gone.😔

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked at our Trader Joe's store today (August 17th) in Eugene Oregon. They didn't have it in stock. Thanks for the homemade recipe. Now I needed worry if they don't have it on the shelf. I do like the grinder but it's not a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    What is the hickory smoked salt you find best to use?:-)

    ReplyDelete