Friday, October 5, 2012

Original Recipe: Shelly's Chik'n Salad


Feel free to share this recipe but please link back to this blog.

I recently discovered a couple products that mimic the texture of chicken in a way that you can use them to make old favorites like 'chicken' salad.

This photo was the salad I made using Augason Farms Chicken Substitute but I have to be honest, I didn't like it as much as I loved Soy Curls so I would recommend making this with the Soy Curls instead. You'll just need to chop those up a little after rehydrating them.

The Augason Farms product had an odd aftertaste to me and it is far more processed and has more ingredients than Soy Curls so health-wise, choose the Soy Curls.

Give my friends at Fake Meats your business as they are an independent company and appreciate your orders! Their shipping is very reasonable and they ship quickly.



Shelly's Chick'n Salad

1/2 cup chick'n substitute or Soy Curls
1 cup water
1/2 tsp no chicken bouillon
2 stalks celery, diced
5 baby carrots (or one whole carrot), diced
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp season salt or Original Old Bay
1/2 tsp lemon pepper or lemon-herb Old Bay
2 tbsp walnuts, chopped (or sub sunflower seeds!)
Veganise (or other vegan mayo), to taste
salt & pepper to taste, if needed

You can also add in anything you'd like to make this amazing.. perhaps green onion or pickle relish!

Boil the water and bouillon and then add in the substitute or curls and cook for a few minutes to rehydrate and warm it up. Drain and squeeze out the excess water from the chik'n.

Add the rest of the ingredients except the mayo until blended. Add in the mayo a little at a time until it is how you'd like it. You want it to hold together but not be too wet and gloopy. Serve on a whole wheat bun, in a wrap or on top of a salad. You can also chill it for a more traditional salad before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Once you've had soy curls, it's hard to like anything else. Ha ha ha. I never thought to put nuts in chicken salad! That would be a fun texture!

    And thanks for another shoutout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Kim! I much prefer to buy from small businesses than large corporations when I can! I ordered 9 bags of the curls yesterday! A few are for other people tho.

    ReplyDelete