Saturday, July 7, 2012

Original Recipe: Cheesy Potatoes

Feel free to share this recipe but it needs to be linked back to my blog. 

I used to love au gratin potatoes. I didn't even care if they were the crappy boxed kind.... give me potatoes coated in a cheesy sauce and I'm a happy girl. Going vegan meant no more cheesy potatoes.. until now!


I created this recipe by adapting the 'Thyme for Creamy Scalloped Potatoes' recipe from Chloe's Kitchen cookbook. You should just go buy this cookbook because it's fantastic and you will not be sorry... any who... her recipe is perfectly fabulous as is but I wanted to make them cheesy so I had to experiment!

The first time I made Chloe's recipe, I halved it so you can easily do that. Just use a 9x9 pan instead.

If you have a Vita Mix, you can skip the soaking part on the cashews

Shelly's Cheesy Potatoes

1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or boil for 10 minutes to soften them)
2 cups water
2 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp sea salt
1 to 2 tsp fresh thyme (I sub in dried herbes de provence)
4 small to medium russet potatoes, sliced thin
4 to 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan

In a blender, puree cashews, water, garlic, sea salt, thyme, yeast, onion powder and paprika until perfectly smooth. Absolutely smooth!

Arrange half of the sliced potatoes in the pan and cover with half of the cashew mixture. Repeat for a second layer. Cover with foil and bake until the potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes) and then uncover and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until lightly browned on top. You may need to adjust baking time based on the thickness of the potatoes and the pan you use. Chloe's recipes says 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered but I found that to be too long with my mandolin sliced potatoes. Mine came out very mashed potato like.. which was fine but if you want a sturdier sliced potato dish then cook less.




No comments:

Post a Comment