Saturday, July 7, 2012

Original Recipe: Herbed Cheesy Garlic Croutons

Feel free to share this recipe but please link back to my blog! 

I love croutons. You should know that about me. I've been known to eat a salad simply so I'm not noshing on a bowl of the bite sized goodness!

I must keep up appearances!

People always ask me for my various crouton recipes but I tend to dump and stir without writing things down.... but today.. today is your lucky day!

I took notes!

Now, I prefer sourdough bread to make croutons but feel free to use what you like or what you have. I also use Italian and French. Whenever I buy a loaf of bread and I use about half, I'll toss it in the freezer to save for croutons.

Shelly's Herbed Cheesy Garlic Croutons

9 oz of cubed bread (your choice)
1/2 cup olive or canola oil
2 tbsp Earth Balance 'butter', melted
2 tbsp plus 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp parsley (I used dried)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cube bread and set it aside in a large bowl. It needs to be big enough to toss the cubes.

In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, melted Earth Balance, 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.

Pour the wet mixture over the cubed bread and toss to coat well. Once it's coated, sprinkle the remaining tablespoon (or more if you like!) of nutritional yeast over the cubes. Pour onto a large cookie sheet with sides.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes and then start paying attention. You'll need to check on the croutons every few minutes and toss them around on the cookie sheet. Bake until they are evenly brown and crunchy.

Store in a plastic container on the counter. I usually stick a date sticker on it and it they aren't gone in 2 weeks, I toss them and make new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment